Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Conversation with a Character

A character sits on a chair. She swings her legs back and forth, scuffing the tips of her sneakers on the floor. They squeak like Styrofoam, and I wince. I hate that sound.

"Are you planning to sit there all day?" I ask her.

"Could be," she says. She sticks a lollipop in her mouth. I have no idea where she got the lollipop. "Are you planning to write my story yet?"

"Could be," I say. "Have you developed a personality?"

"Nope. You?"

"Ouch," I say. "Harsh."

She shrugs and looks around my writing room. "This place is a wreck. You should clean it. And your books are not alphabetized."

I look at her suspiciously. "You want me to write, don't you?"

"I want you to write MY story. Not that." She pokes the lollipop at my computer screen.

"But I don't know your story yet," I say.

"That's because you haven't written it yet."

I can't argue with that logic.

She offers me the lollipop. It has some cat fur stuck to it, but it's green apple flavor. So I take it, stick it in my mouth, and start typing.

When I look back, the character's hair has turned brown, and she has antlers. She says her name is Annie...

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I need to do more writing exercises like this . . . sounds like Annie is a runaway faun from Narnia. Maybe she's Tumnus's niece!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Priya: She could be. I do have a portal to Narnia in my closet...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Laura said...

AWSOME Sarah. Your so cool. :) (no pun intended)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Laura: Thanks so much!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Ooh. This actually gave me the shivers!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Love it! Hey, let me know if you need help alphabetizing your books. Librarians are good at that. :-) Miss Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home