Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cover Art Reveal: VESSEL

Got the loveliest present from my editor... cover art for VESSEL!

I am so excited to share it with you and to introduce you to my next book, VESSEL, a YA fantasy novel coming in September 2012 from Simon & Schuster / Margaret K. McElderry Books.

In a desert land where serpents made of unbreakable glass fly through the sky and wolves made of only sand hunt within storms, Liya
na is destined to be a vessel, to sacrifice herself so that her clan's goddess can inhabit her body... but her goddess never comes.


I was in the parking lot at Dunkin' Donuts when the email with the cover art came in, and I waited for my husband to return with Munchkins so we could open the jpg together. (This was either sweet or cowardly of me. You can judge which.) When he returned, we opened the email... and I nearly swooned. I am absolutely in love with this cover. Look at the way the scarf moves! And the tattoos on her arms! And her fierce expression! And the sand! And the moon! *swoon*

I had a hint that this sort of awesomeness was coming when I ran across a journal entry on Deviant Art by photographer Jaime Ibarra about the cover shoot. There's one photo of the model practicing whooshing the fabric and another of the makeup artist painting on Liyana's tattoos. (The tattoos identify her as her clan's vessel. You really, really don't want a deity to possess the wrong person.)

The photographer is the fantastic Jaime Ibarra. (Visit his website to see more of his stunning work. I especially love the photos in the Movimiento gallery.) According to his Google+ page, the others involved in the shoot were:

Makeup & Styling - Mirabai Wagner
Additional Retouching - Solstice Retouch
Additional Makeup & Whooshing Coach - Jessa Peters
Model - Kristin (BMG Model Management)

The amazing team at Simon & Schuster then did their magic, and the result... Liyana lives!

So, what do you guys think?!?!?!?

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Q said...

I LOVE THIS. One of the best book covers I have ever seen.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Leah Cypess said...

That I want this now! And congratulations on the gorgeous cover.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger BookChic said...

OMG SO PRETTY!! I love it and can't wait to read it!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, it's so beautiful! Even if I wasn't already a fan I'd be tempted to pick this up, just from the cover art!

What an intriguing premise, too! I can't wait to read this one. :D

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! It's beautiful!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Jen Barnes said...

Gorgeous! I absolutely love it! :)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger kathleen duey said...

Stunning!!!! and just when I think there can't be even one more one-word title that sparkles...wow.

S&S (they are my publishers,too) does a great job! Yay, Sarah! Vessel is gorgeous.

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Sara (of the Page Sage) said...

It's gorgeous! I can't wait to read it; I'm sure it will be amazing!!! (:

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Danielle said...

Ooooo! So pretty! Naturally I have to wait almost a year, but I'll be patient. :)

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Everyone: Yay! So happy you all like it! Thanks so much!!

Kathleen: Totally agree re S&S. I am in awe of their art department.

 
At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Laura Harrison said...

ITS AMAZING! :D SO GREAT!

It seems like only yesterday you were writing Drink Slay Love. :)

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Aliah E. said...

Oh my goodness! It's beautiful!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger TerryLynnJohnson said...

Gorgeous!And it sounds awesome! You have been blessed with fantastic covers. (I discovered your books after spotted the cover for ICE from across a crowded bookstore.)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Heather Tomlinson said...

Oh, lovely! Can't wait to read it.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Lola said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to read this one!!! :D

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger LinWash said...

It's beautiful! I can't wait to read this book1

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

VESSEL is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! My favorite of all your covers! I Want it right this second. *swoons*

I can't believe I didn't see your blog last month when you posted this! I saw it today from Small Review and just about died. This book is absolutely STUNNING. *covets*

(BTW, my word verification is faties...so it's fate!!)

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the best book covers EVER!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home