Monday, May 04, 2009

ARCs for ICE, and Librarians too

Got the loveliest present from my editor:


It's an ARC of ICE!!! An ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) is basically a paperback mockup of what the final hardcover will look like. It's not quite a finished copy since it's printed from the pre-proofread text and still contains typos and such. But that said, it looks like a book, it feels like a b
ook, it smells like a book (don't judge me...), and I am just amazingly thrilled to be able to hold this almost-finished version of ICE in my hands.


In my totally unbiased opinion, I think the final hardcover will be more beautiful than a rainbow at sunrise over the ocean with playful unicorns frolicking in the waves. [Scientist-husband points out that you can't see a rainbow and a sunrise together since the sun needs to be behind you to produce a rainbow. He apparently has no problem with the unicorn part
though.] Seriously. Lots of unicorns. Frolicking. Look here at the spine:


I have been petting it and cooing at it as if it were a new kitten ever since it arrived. I think I'm in love...

In other news, I'll be spending a large part of this week surrounded by librarians! This Wednesday, I'm speaking at the Massachusetts Library Association Conference in Springfield, MA. And on Thursday I'm speaking at the Long Island Library Conference in Woodbury, NY. The title of my talk: "The Importance of Talking Cats: YA and Children's Fantasy." Hee hee! I'm so excited.

Labels: , , , , , ,

19 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Judi Guizado said...

To paraphrase Melanie from "Gone With the Wind", "The happiest days are when ARCs come."

Congratulations! It looks absolutely beautiful!!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Leah Cypess said...

Hi,

Coming out of lurk mode because I can't resist commenting that my scientist-husband would have the exact same reaction (with perhaps an extra eye-roll for the unicorns).

But it's okay, I intend to base a character on him someday... one of the ones who keeps denying the existence of magic long past the point where it's ridiculous. Other characters will roll their eyes at HIM.

Leah Cypess

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty...
Have fun with the librarians, although I understand it's been rainy on Long Island.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! That book looks lovely, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of it.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Maya Ganesan said...

CONGRATS! It's GORGEOUS. I can understand your excitement.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Antonietta May said...

unicorns frolicking in the waves? really? that's rather cruel, seeing as how it almost killed lir and amalthea to free them! ( the last unicorn? peter beagle?)

anyway, yay! it looks beautiful, and i can't wait to read it!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Priya said...

It is indeed a very pretty book.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Q said...

I need to read this book. Very badly. Very very badly.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Judi: Picturing self in hoop skirts fanning self with ARC...

Leah: I like that idea. You could have the character actually riding a unicorn and still denying it...

Alessandra-lee: Yeah, it’s been gray and rainy. Very bleh. (I live on Long Island.)

Anonymous: Thank you! I can’t wait until it comes out.

Maya: I am still very excited. Every time I see the cover art, I want to do a little dance.

Hedgi: Good point. Have you seen Jane Yolen and Ruth Sanderson’s "Where Have the Unicorns Gone?" Gorgeous illustrations of unicorns in waves.

Priya: Thanks! I’m admittedly a wee bit biased, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Q: :) Exactly five months to pub date!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Loooooooovely!!!! Can't wait to read it!

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Preeeety preeeety...can't wait to read!!
(I'm glad I am not the only one on earth >sniffle< who thinks books have a Book Smell. One time I checked a book out of the library and it smelled like its prievious guardian had dumped a bottle of lavender oil on it, totally ruining the...the...bookiness. Grrr.)

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger deathcharm17 said...

I like that book!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

OMG I just want you to know, you've been bestowed with a great honor. Why? Because I screamed louder about ICE than the last house episode

Savvy must have xD

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

Yay on the ARCS-they look beautiful, and I'm sure the hardcover will look even more amazing.

Too bad you're in Springfield MA instead of Springfield MO-then you could come visit my library!

-Sarah

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

The ARCs are out?! *cracks knuckles* All right. Time to see if I still have any book-reviewer magic left, I've used up a lot lately. I had no idea ICE was coming so soon!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Silvia said...

Wow, I just found about this book and I have to say it looks really interesting.
The cover is very nice^^

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Erin: Thanks! I can’t wait for it to come out!

Anonymous: Ick. I suppose I wouldn’t mind a book smelling like chocolate or pizza, but any kind of perfume is just wrong.

deathcharm17: Thanks! Me too, though I’m admittedly a wee bit biased. :)

SavyLeartist: I feel totally honored!

GreenBeanTeenQueen: MO is a slightly longer drive... But if I’m ever in the area, I’ll be sure to let you know. I’d love to visit your library!

Enna Isilee: Yep, they exist! ICE comes out in October.

Silvia: Thanks! Hope you like it!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Bri Meets Books said...

Absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to read this one.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Bri Meets Books: Thanks so much!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home