Thursday, September 18, 2008

Princeton Children's Book Festival 2008 Trip Report

Last Saturday, in revenge for my post about my hair, my curls destroyed my hairbrush. Utterly.

It was a crime of passion.

But I soldiered on, dragged the disintegrating bristles through my fu
zz, and then trotted off to the Princeton Children's Book Festival.

I love the Princeton Children's Book Festival. You sit
outside under a tent with 40+ other writers and talk to people about books. Awesome.

Here's me at my table:


One of the things that I love about this book festival is that the organizers (led by the fabulous Allison Santos) are organized. (You'd think this would be a standard feature of organizers, but not so much.) These librarians and volunteers think of everything.

For example, every author who wants one can have their own personal helper to, you know, help. In addition to helping me schlep candy from the car and tastefully arranging the requisite beware-the-Wild vines, my helper got me food! This gained her instant entry to my list of People Who Are Awesome.

I brought the vines; she brought the sandwiches.

Other people who are awesome were there too, including many, many awesome authors. For the festival, I was seated between the super-nice Linda Bozzo and Sally Cook and behind Dan Gutman. I also had a chance to talk a bit with Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead, both wonderful people and writers. And I got to meet the fabulous Donna Jo Napoli, whose books I adore, and many other writers at a lovely gathering afterward hosted by Margery Cuyler.

Rebecca Stead, Me, and Wendy Mass

Me and Linda Bozzo

And here's something completely unrelated but it made me smile so I wanted to share. I discovered this commercial the other day on Diana Peterfreund's blog, and I 100% agree with it (except for the line about arachnids).

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger Anne Leigh said...

Awww poor Sarah!! I know what it's like to have hair brushes die out on you. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there :( I would have loved too have seen you again!

By the way are there any spesific stores where Out of the Wild is being sold? I've been trying to find it but it's no where too be seen! :(

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Q said...

Watch out for the evil hair gremlins!

And that commercial made my day. I love the world.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

SavyLeartist: No worries, I've got a brand new brush now, so I'm all set to battle my hair another day! Out of the Wild is in lots of bookstores, but if your local stores are sold out, you can always ask them to special order it and they'll get it within about a week. Or you could always go with one of the online booksellers like amazon.com, bn.com, borders.com...

Q: Isn't that song awesome! I can't get it out of my head!

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger mixedblessings89 said...

Hello again... again, you ask?
Well, I commented on a previous post about the originally- limp- carol- sleeping- beauty.

Anyway, sorry bt the hair brush.

You, know, I just realised you're an author. Not to mention you write my favourite kind of books.

I am linking to this blog. If you're not that into this idea, then tell me, and I'll (unwillingly) remove it.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

mixedblessings89: Glad you found me. Welcome! Please feel free to link.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger AnnaDee said...

i love the vid. i watched it, like, 40 times. lol. its awsome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home