Friday, August 29, 2008

Recent Reads: Coville, Landy, Kenner

Read some great books lately that I wanted to share with you guys...

DARK WHISPERS by Bruce Coville

Third book in the Unicorn Chronicles. Lovely and magical and awesome. Worth the wait. Cara continues her adventures in Luster, the world of the unicorns... These books are for every girl who has (or had) a unicorn poster in her bedroom. Really, they are the quintessential unicorn books. Classics.

PLAYING WITH FIRE by Derek Landy

Sequel to Skullduggery Pleasant, involving a kick-butt girl heroine and a skeletal detective (who's the good guy, despite the whole freaky skull-for-a-face thing). Lots of fights. Lots of magic. Lots of deadpan humor. Don't read this while drinking milk or you will spray milk out of your nose.

DEJA DEMON by Julie Kenner

Latest installment in the adventures of a demon-hunting soccer mom. If you have kids and like Buffy, you must read this series. Must. Read. They're exciting and fun and hilarious and romantic. But more importantly, they're empowering. I find myself thinking, "If Kate can pull off a dinner party while juggling two kids and a demon apocalypse, then surely I can get through today..." Okay, so a zombie hand did crawl through the dining room during her dinner, but still...

Happy reading!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger Q said...

"If Kate can pull off a dinner party while juggling two kids and a demon apocalypse, then surely I can get through today..."

Haha!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I loved the Skulduggery sequel!!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger AnnaDee said...

i LOVE the UNICORN CHONICLES! absolutly LOVE THEM!!!
i cried soo hard. because it was just so beautiful.
must read the next book.
it was worth the wait, but i hope the next one doesn't take what, 8(?) years....
i love your blogs.
ut more importantly, they're empowering. I find myself thinking, "If Kate can pull off a dinner party while juggling two kids and a demon apocalypse, then surely I can get through today..."
i do this too. i think stuff like, " if so and so from such and such can do{insert really hard task} then i can finish this crazy hike....

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q: :)

Erin: I devoured it in one sitting. I loved the relationship between the protagonist and Skullduggery. So cool.

AnnaDee: I cried too. Especially in one scene that I'm not going to mention because it's a spoiler. I can't wait for the next one too!

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Dorlana said...

Hi Sarah,
I really like your blog!
BTW
I’m tagging you with a short meme.
You can find your instructions here:
http://dorlana.blogspot.com/2008/09/whats-up-september-2008.html

Have a great Labor Day!
Dorlana

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Dorlana: Glad you like it! Hope you had a great Labor Day too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home