Sunday, March 02, 2008

Some Pig!


Just got some lovely news from Ms. Editor... Into the Wild has been nominated for the E. B. White Award! Snoopy Dance of Joy!!!

The award is presented by the Association of Booksellers for Children (ABC) and its full name is the E. B. White Read Aloud Award for Older Readers (they give another award for picture books). I am so, so, so excited to be nominated.

For one thing, being nominated for an award is tangible evidence that someone out there likes me (or at least likes my book). And this makes me really, really happy for I am a needy and neurotic person in constant need of affirmation to fuel my self-worth. Second, I'm particularly excited because nominations for this award are submitted by children's booksellers, who are (practically by definition) experts in children's books. Third, it's named after E. B. White, as in the author of Charlotte's Web! What could be more awesome than Charlotte's Web?! And finally, I love that the award is meant to honor works that are terrific books to read aloud. I love thinking about people reading Into the Wild to each other. Sometimes I get emails from readers that talk about reading the book together as a family, or with friends, or in class, or at bed-time... and I just think that is so cool. As I think I've mentioned before, my absolute favorite Amazon.com customer review is this one, reproduced below:

Dear Sarah-

Me and my dad had a great time reading this book. Although I'm only eight, my dad is REALLY old, so he qualifies to help me with this review! I love stories about mysteries, and I thought Puss 'n Boots was really funny.

My dad and I read this over a couple of weeks, a little bit every night. My favorite part was when Julie was a princess, and they had the test. That was really funny.

I think you did a great job, this being your first book and all. I also liked the part when the wild escaped. Another part is when she met her dad. I liked when her bike came alive, too.

We live in Shrewsbury, next to Northboro. I liked when Spag's was the wizard's house, the ogre's castle was Higgins Armory. I liked it when you used places that I knew in your book. Keep up the good work!

Pam and her Dad

Thank you, Pam. And thank you, ABC booksellers!

The winner will be announced in early April. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Upcoming Event

If you're in or near NYC... I will be doing a reading this Tuesday night (March 4th at 7pm) as part of The New York Review of Science Fiction Readings at the Melville Gallery of the South Street Seaport Museum. Felix Gilman, author of Thunderer, will be reading as well. Should be a fun night. I hope you'll come join us! I will be reading scenes from both Into the Wild and Out of the Wild.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger Q said...

That is so cool! Congratulations, Sarah! You deserve it.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Melissa Walker said...

That's totally exciting, Sarah! Yay!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger E.C. Myers said...

I hadn't heard of that award before, but I think it's the best looking one I've ever seen! It'll look even better on purple. Congratulations and good luck!

And see you tomorrow night!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Enna Isilee said...

Woo! You're becoming famous!

I think the last time I was in NYC I was... two? Sorry. Don't think I'll be there. ;)

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Jen Robinson said...

Congratulations, Sarah! That's wonderful news!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Q, Erin, Melissa, Eugene, Enna Isilee, and Jen: Thank you all so much! I'm soooo excited.

Eugene: Glad to hear you'll be there! Looking forward to seeing you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home