Saturday, October 27, 2007

Northboro (Part 6 of 7)

Paris has its Eiffel Tower. St. Louis has its Arch. San Francisco has its Golden Gate Bridge. And Northboro (my hometown and the setting for INTO THE WILD) has...

... the Agway rooster!

The Agway Rooster

I'm not the only one who thinks the rooster is emblematic of Northboro. When the Boston Globe ran an article about me and the book last July, I offered them a whole bunch of photos. It was this picture of me in front of the Agway rooster that they decided to print with the article!

Rooster and Me

I'm told that Agway is closing soon, which makes me sad. Many of the locations in INTO THE WILD already only exist inside the book. The Dew Drop Inn closed when I was in elementary school. The local warehouse store, Spag's, is now no longer Spag's. The Dairy Hut is now called Beezers. But these places are still part of the Northboro that's in my heart, which is why I put them in the book.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home