Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter Night at Eight Cousins (Trip Report)


Last Friday night, I talked to dozens of wizards, Death Eaters, and dementors. (Okay, some of the dementors didn't talk much, but you know how they are. Too busy soul-sucking for ordinary pleasa
ntries.) I was the guest author at Harry Potter Night at Eight Cousins Bookstore in Falmouth, Massachusetts, and it was very cool.

This was no ordinary Harry Potter party. The whole street got in on the act as Main Street was transformed into Diagon Alley, with each store assuming the identity of its Potterian equivalent. Tons of kids (and adults) dressed up in costume. There was a parade. And a scavenger hunt. An
d quidditch matches! And I got to park myself right in the middle of it and try to talk people into buying a second (much more purple) book that night. Here's a photo of me at the event:


My secret weapon for drawing in the crowds: a big bowl of candy that I kept filled to the brim! (It's obscured from view in the photo by a girl who's perusing the candy selection.) I refilled that bowl at least five times. Apparently, wizards like candy. A lot.

Eight Cousins is a fabulous bookstore, and I had a wonderful time. I may not have sold as many books as JK that night, but I sold out the bookstore's stock and had a lot of fun doing it. And, of course, I picked up my very own copy of HP7!

(For those of you who are wondering, the safety-pin/bobby-pin method actually worked! The hat stayed on my head the entire night. Whoo-hoo!)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quidditch matches? How did they achieve that?
Heh, I like your costume, even if no gorilla suit is involved.
I got to take a picture with a dementer! You couldn't see its face in reality, but in the photo I'm looking at it and it's looking straight back at me!!!!! Creepy!!!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Sookie: Ooh, dementer photo! Cool!

I don't think there was actual flying involved in the Quidditch matches. But I did see some broomsticks, so I could be wrong...

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely... How I wish I was with you!!! I am 11 years old and when I'm older I want to be a writer too! Say hi to Rachel Bickford... I'm a friend of her's! From, KIRA DURHAM

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

So nice to meet you, Kira! I'll definitely say hi to Rachel for you. (Gillian's little sister in Into the Wild is actually named after Rachel. Their personalities aren't at all alike, but she is named in her honor.) Best of luck to you with your writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home