Friday, June 22, 2007

Book Launch Recap

Yesterday was AWESOME.

On behalf of Julie, Zel, Boots, and all the characters of INTO THE WILD, I'd like to thank everyone who sent emails, comments, flowers, etc. You guys made the day really, really special.


Two other things that made the day spe
cial:

My Back-to-the-Future Box

Remember when George McFly gets his box of books at the end of "Back to the Future"? Okay, I know it's a totally obscure reference. After Marty returns to 1985, he learns that his father is now a writer, and he sees his dad receive a box full of author copies of his first published novel.

I loved that scene.

I wanted that box.

Yesterday afternoon, my Back-to-the-Future box arrived!! 30 glorious, shiny, purply copies of INTO THE WILD!!!

Back-to-the-Future Box

It was a lovely, lovely book-birthday present. Just looking at the box now makes me feel all dizzy and light-headed.

Book Launch Party/Reading/Signing at Book Revue

Let's start with the most important part: the cake. It was vanilla with buttercream frosting and raspberry (yum!) fil
ling. Here's a photo:

We ate Julie!

As far as the event itself... AWESOME. The events coordinator, Julianne, was wonderful, and Book Revue is a fabulous bookstore -- it's the largest independent bookstore on Long Island. Turnout was terrific. Lots of friends and family and family-friends (and MySpace friends!) showed up. And my agent came. And some kids too! And they were really excited about the book, and asked great questions, which was awesome. The store even had to set up more chairs, and there were still people leaning up against the bookshelves in the back! I talked for a little bit and then read two scenes from the book. (I love reading!) Afterwards, I signed lots and lots of books with a lovely purple pen.

Yay Purple Pen!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow (or Today, depending on when you read this -- Saturday, 6/23), I'll be at Books of Wonder in Manhattan. (Click here for info.) And immediately afterward, I'll hop a train to Washington DC for the ALA (American Library Association) Conference! Busy, busy... but so much fun...

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Again, congratulations. I couldn't be happier for you. As promised in my earlier e-mail, I went out to get your book today. Sadly, the Borders I visited didn't receive it yet, but they're expecting their supply in the next day or so. As soon as they contact me, I'll be back.

I just had to write, though, in response to your reference to the book box from Back to the Future. I've always loved that scene! It's always been my dream to open a box of MY books, too! I know my day is coming, but I'm so glad you have had the experience. I can only imagine the elation. Hmmm... wonder if this is how J.K. Rowling felt opening the first box of Harry Potter?...
Yea, again!
Judi :)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Our bookstore had several copies...and they look beautiful!

I feel like it's my birthday, because I finally get to start reading a book I've been waiting for forever. And I'm loving it!

- Jay

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger heidi said...

This all looks like so much fun, Sarah!! What a blast--btw, did you know there's a non-fiction book w/ your same title? They are making it into a movie, so for your movie you may have to change the title. Did you notice I said: in your movie version? Have fun! =9

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Faith said...

Hey, cutie! Can you please send me your address, so I can mail my book to you the moment I finish reading it? I'll include the return postage as well, so all you have to do is scribble your lovely name inside. :)

I can't wait for that box from Amazon to come with your book and Jo's books!!

Oh--you probably need my email, huh? faith(dot)stencel(at)gmail(dot)com.

Enjoy all the fun!!

Thanks,
Faith

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Ryan Freebern said...

Wait, wait! You were at ALA and I didn't know about it until NOW? I had no idea you'd be there! Curses!

Oh well. I'll still have a chance to say hi at Readercon.

Oh, also--Congratulations! :)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Judi: I bet J.K. felt the same way. So cool that you know the scene too!

Jay: You're so sweet! Thanks! So nice to hear that your bookstore had several.

Heidi: I heard about that. TOTALLY different story. Not a single talking cat in it. :)

Faith: I'll email soon.

Ryan: See you at Readercon! Looking forward to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home