Wednesday, November 01, 2006

World Fantasy Convention


This Thursday, I'm heading to Austin, Texas, for the 2006 World Fantasy Convention (WFC). For those of you picturing lots of Klingons (not that there's anything wrong with that)... WFC is a book-oriented professional conference where fantasy writers, editors, agents, and readers gather to discuss both adult and young adult fantasy literature.

I love this convention. I've been attending as an aspiring writer for several years now. In my opinion, it's one of the best conventions out there, mostly due to the high percentage of professional writers, editors, and agents who attend. Over the years, I've had the chance to listen to a lot of great panels and readings, meet a lot of fabulous people, and learn a lot about the craft and the industry.

This is the first year that I get to attend as a professional writer.

(Snoopy Dance of Joy!)

For the first time ever, I can introduce myself as a published writer! I can tell people about my book! I can hand out my snazzy new business cards!

And it gets better... I just found out that I've been selected to be a program participant! I'll be part of the

Young Adult Reading
Saturday, November 4, 2:30-3:30pm
Sarah Beth Durst, Deborah Millitello, Tiffany Trent, Jo Whittemore

where I will be doing my very first reading from INTO THE WILD!!!

(Super Snoopy Dance of Joy!!!)

I'm soooo excited about this. For the past few days, I've been practicing reading out loud, just to make sure I don't get up there and start clucking like a chicken. So far, no clucking, but you can never be too careful...

And I'm so glad that I get to read alongside these three fabulous authors: Tiffany Trent and Jo Whittemore, who I already know, and Deborah Millitello, who I'm looking forward to meeting. This should really be a lot of fun.

Plus, as a program participant, I will have my name and book listed in the Program Guide for everyone to see. I will get a ribbon on my nametag that says "participant" or something like that. And I will get access to what's known as the "Green Room."

Every convention has a Green Room. This is a special room designated for program participants only. I am told that all Green Rooms are painted emerald green with actual emeralds studding the ceiling. By law, every Green Room must have at least one chocolate fountain, one raspberry-sauce fountain, and one Fountain of Youth. In the Green Room at World Fantasy Convention, program participants can choose to chat with the ghosts of late literary giants, ride telepathic dragons, or experiment with time travel. Every program participant also gets their very own miniature griffin to take home.

If you're attending WFC, I hope you'll come to my reading. If you promise not to heckle, I'll even let you play with the griffin.

8 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for the congrats!

The cover for my book INTO THE WILD was designed by Jose Nieto. I'm really happy with it. I think he did a fantastic job.

- Sarah

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those business cards! I had new ones made for WFC. I didn't realize all the perks we get for being participants (I mean, besides the chocolate fountains). Eee! I bought a new top to wear for the reading. I'm such a girl. Hehe!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger coe booth said...

Good luck at the convention, Sarah. Knock 'em dead, girl!

And have lots and lots o' fun!!!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Coe: Thanks! I'm having a blast so far. And I think the reading went well. I certainly enjoyed doing it!

Jo: What did you decide to name your griffin?

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Faith said...

Sarah, I didn't get to see your griffin!!!

You were wonderful--I loved getting to meet you and hear about your book. I've bookmarked your site, and I'm linking to your blog, if that's okay with you.

My site is chauceriangirl.blogspot.com.

Faith

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hi Faith. It was so nice chatting with you at WFC. And thanks for linking to my blog. I checked out yours and I'm definitely going to steal those pictures from my reading!

Sorry you missed griffin petting time. There's only a brief window between preenings when he's willing to put up with it. Maybe next time.

- Sarah

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Danielle said...

Hmm. Is the griffin like the miniture dragons the contestents received in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire?:)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Danielle: Very much like. Except minus the fire-breathing. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home