Saturday, November 11, 2006

Recent Reads: Enthoven and Trent

Non-Existent Person Asks: Sarah, since you've been in so many planes, trains, and automobiles lately, I bet you got to do a lot of reading. Read anything good?

Sarah Answers: Hello, imaginary blog reader! Nice to see you here again.

Since you asked, I'll let you in on a secret: I can't read in cars. Motion sickness. Not a pretty sight. I even have to be careful not to read too many billboards. Especially if I'm in the back seat. But trains and planes... Happily, I'm fine in
those, and yes, I've read some cool books lately. Here are two of them:

On the way down to the World Fantasy Convention (WFC) in Austin, I read THE BLACK TATTOO by Sam Enthoven, a fellow Razorbill author. It's about a 14-year-old boy without a shred of magic who has to outsmart all the demons of Hell in order to save himself, his friend, and oh, pretty much the entire universe. Very cool. Great pacing, inventive storyline, and a fun sense of humor. I gobbled it up.

On the way back from WFC, I read IN THE SERPENT'S COILS by Tiffany Trent, a fellow 2k7er. You can't buy it yet. It doesn't come out until next Halloween. But I scored an advance copy while at WFC. Mwah-ha-ha-ha! Anyway, it's the first book in a ten book series about a teenage girl who confronts vampiric fey in just-after-the-Civil War America. If you're looking for gothic spooky, this novel is for you. It's the kind of book that makes you want to snuggle up on the couch with a cat and some hot chocolate. Tiffany does a fabulous job creating an eerie atmosphere. Seriously, you look up from the novel and expect to see fog around your ankles and a taloned hand reaching for your neck...

Happy reading!

1 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, shucks...*she says, blushing*. Thanks for reading. I demand your firstborn ARC in return. :) I can't wait to read ItW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home