Saturday, October 14, 2006

3-2-1 Contract!

I now have in my grubby little hands, the final, fully-signed, i's-dotted, t's-crossed version of my contract for INTO THE WILD and an untitled second book. Yippee! You want to know the coolest thing about this contract, aside from it being the final, fully-signed, i's-dotted, t's-crossed version? It has a big red stamp at the top of the first page that says: AUTHOR.

Yes, I know this is just to identify which of the four copies is mine. But come on, it says AUTHOR! I almost cried when I first saw it. Maybe next time I go into Penguin, they'll stamp it on my forehead: AUTHOR. That would be cool... if, perhaps, a bit messy.

My glorious and adorable husband scanned it in so you could see it:


He then printed it out on photo paper so I could put it next to my writing desk for inspiration as I work on Untitled Second Book. Isn't he the sweetest?

Signing that contract was a Momentous Event for me. [Imagine wavy flashback effect.] I was nervous. It wasn't likely that I'd suddenly freak out and sign my name as Walt Disney or Big Bird or that guy that used to sign the butts of Cabbage Patch Dolls (what was his name???), but you never know. Things happen. So first, I practiced my signature, and then I made my husband stand on the other side of the room and not watch while I signed. When I finished, he took this photo of me:


And then because I am a sentimental (and compulsively organized) pack-rat, I sealed the pen that I'd used in a Zip-lock and labeled it "contract signing pen." I hope it gets a lot more use in the future! :)

4 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe I'm admitting to knowing this, but Xavier Roberts was the Cabbage Patch signing guy. I guess once you've seen someone's butt signed (even if the someone is a doll), it's hard to forget.

Congratulations!

But a word of advice, if you really want to play up the merchandizing options, you will sign each contract with a DIFFERENT pen, and then you can sell each one as a collectible when you're more famous that JK Rowling. I mean, the pen you signed your first contract with would score some seriously high bidding on ebay...

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Thanks, Cathie. That's so sweet of you to say. And thanks for identifying the butt-signer! If it weren't for you, I would've had to find and pants my old Cabbage Patch Doll to figure that out!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Thanks for sharing "the moment" with us. My first book just sold to Razorbill, as well.

I am so looking forward to seeing that big red stamp on my contract!

- Jay (your Razorbill-brother)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Sarah Beth Durst said...

Congratulations, Jay! So glad to meet a fellow Razorbillian. I checked out your blog and almost cried when I read about how you told your wife the news. So wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home